Friday, November 24, 2006

what i think about existentialism*

I rather like the idea of existentialism, which deals with approaching the absurdity of existence and alienation, death, and despair with courage and dignity--although it isn't easy to comprehend and the questions are pretty frustrating because they couldn't be answered from a single perspective. I agree how "nothing defines me but me"--no one can understand who you are more than yourself. Although it is a dark philosophical concept, I like how it states that anxiety and angst is not just negative; it helps shape up who we are and being happy all the time prevents us from learning about the darker aspects of life and identity. I agree with Satre--that "existence precedes essence", because I think the course of life brings experiences that help us learn more about who we really are, and that we are born as a 'blank slate'...
-- yuki

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home